If you have stopped by recently, you have noticed the different articles from the McGuffey’s Readers. So far, there have been posts from the Second Grade, Third Grade, Fourth Grade and the Sixth Grade Readers.
McGuffey Readers were a series of graded primers for grade levels 1-6. They were widely used as textbooks in American schools from the mid-19th century to the mid-20th century, and are still used today in some private schools and in homeschooling.
- The Kingbird – McGuffey’s Second Grade Reader
- What A Bird Taught – McGuffey’s Second Grade Reader
- Fish Hawk – McGuffey’s Second Grade Reader
- Birdie’s Morning Song – McGuffey’s 2nd Grade Reader
- The Owl – McGuffey’s 2nd Grade Reader
- McGuffey’s Third Reader – BIRD FRIENDS
- The Little Bird’s Song – McGuffey’s Third Reader
- McGuffey’s Third Reader – Humming Birds
- The Eagle – Fourth Grade McGuffey’s Reader
- The Sandpiper – Fourth Grade McGuffey’s Reader
- McGuffey’s Fifth Reader – VI – The Singing Lesson
- McGuffey’s 6th Grade Reader – The Morning Oratorio
My question is would you like more of these posted? School will be starting soon and your young readers may find these useful for reading practice. Then again, they may be so busy they do not have time to read extra stories.
These all have good tales to tell, and I have been busy finding the BIRD stories, of course. I have found many more articles that can be made from the McGuffey’s Readers. They are full of stories that have good morals to them. Here they are updated with current neat bird pictures and Scripture verses.
Please leave a comment about whether these are helpful and enjoyable to you, your children, or your grandchildren. Maybe, even your students.
These are coming from the Gutenberg books online:
Yes, I have plans to do First Grade and Fifth Grade stories, if the answers are positive.
“Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend [to show rage or worthy purpose].” (Proverbs 27:17 AMP)